Help The Salvation Army Collect 10,000 NEW Books for our 2017 Toy Shop
Books are critical to the development of children.
Support The Salvation Army Toy Shop by donating a new book. Our goal is to provide every child a new book this Christmas season. Books and/or monetary donations can be made at either of these locations:
Divisional Headquarters: 11315 W. Watertown Plank Road, Wauwatosa 53226
Distribution Center: 5880 N. 60th Street, Milwaukee 53218
Families in Milwaukee continue to struggle during these difficult economic times. This is especially evident during the Christmas holiday season. The Salvation Army provides parents with the opportunity to “shop” for new toys that have been donated and collected in the community. Parents make selections based on the age and gender of their children and are able to surprise them on Christmas morning with toys.
The Toy Shop utilizes hundreds of volunteers to sort toys and assist parents with their shopping.
More than 10,000 children receive toys through this program.
Families that participate in the Toy Shop have a demonstrated need for assistance and are identified and referred to the Toy Shop by community and social service agencies, school social workers and Salvation Army program staff. Clients will be provided with a Registration Referral Letter that contains a specific registration appointment. By scheduling registration appointments we hope to provide clients with efficient service and a decreased waiting time.
- Must have received a Registration Referral Letter with a 2016 registration appointment.
- Families with children ages 0-15; born on or after January 1, 2001
- Must provide:
- Head of Household: Picture ID and proof of residence/address
For each child: Proof of birth date and Social Security number or 9 digit ITIN
- Must live within designated service area
Designated Service Area
The Toy Shop serves families living in Milwaukee County with the exception of the following zip codes: , 53108, 53110, 53129, 53130, 53132, 53154, 53172, 53207, 53220, 53221, 53228, & 53235. Families living in these zip codes are served by The Salvation Army’s Toy Shop in Oak Creek. Please call (414) 762-3993 for information.
See Registration Referral Letter for complete list of acceptable documentation
Parents/Guardians as Head of Household
Proof of Identity:
- Current Driver’s License or valid picture ID
- Passport or Visa
- US Military Identification Card
Proof of Residence:
- Postmarked envelope, postcard, etc.
- Driver’s license or ID card with current address
- Utility bill, bank statement, etc.
- Lease, rent receipt
- Property tax records or mortgage statement
Must have proof of both the child’s birthdate and Social Security number (or 9 digit ITIN):
- Birth Certificate
- Birth Announcement
- Social Security Card
- Social Security Printout containing full SS#
- W-2 Statement/Notice of Decision that contains full birth dates and Social Security numbers
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship with full DOB & SS#
- Medical Records with full DOB & SS#
- Income Tax Forms with full DOB & SS#
Foster Parents, Caregivers & Placement Resource families can provide Kinship papers or the Child’s Placement Verification Letter as documentation
Salvation Army Referral Letters
Individuals not currently receiving services from a community or social service agency, school social worker or a Salvation Army program may obtain a Registration Referral Letter at The Salvation Army West Corps located at 1645 N. 25th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53205; (414) 342-9191 November 14, 15 and 16 from 1:00 to 4:00 - while they last; first come, first served.
Bring your Registration Referral Booklet and required documentation to your scheduled registration appointment. If you are unable to come to your appointment, you may have someone come and register on your behalf. They must bring your Registration Referral Letter, your photo ID, a letter from you stating you have given permission for them to act on your behalf and all the required documentation for each of your children. Registration appointments are scheduled Nov. 21—Dec 2, 2016 from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00.
December 16, 2016 - 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
December 18, 2016 - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
December 21, 2016 - 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Bring the Pick-Up Appointment Letter you received at registration and your ID
- If you cannot come to your assigned appointment, you may come any time after your appointment when the Toy Shop is open.
- You may have someone pick up your toys. They must bring your Appointment Letter, your photo ID and a permission letter from you.
- SNOW MAKE-UP DAY - In the event of severe weather, watch for Toy Shop closings on the news. Only if the Toy Shop closes there will be a make-up day on Wednesday, December 21, 2016. Come at your assigned time.
- Volunteers donate toys
- Sort toys by age and gender
- Set up and stock tables
- “Shoppers” assist parents in choosing toys for their children
- Clean-up and set-up each day
- Clean-up and tear down at the close of the program
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older
- Toy Shop Volunteers are not eligible to receive toys through the Toy Shop program.
2016 Volunteer Schedule
December 5, 2016 - December 9, 2016 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
December 12, 2016 - December 15, 2016 9:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Toy Distribution and Sorting:
December 16, 2016 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
December 19, 2016 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
December 20, 2016 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
New toys can be dropped off at the Toy Shop M-F, 8:00 am-3:00 pm (all year long) or placed in Toys for Tots collection boxes at retail sites
- We are in specific need of toys for both boys and girls ages 8-15
- Click here for a list of gift suggestions
- Please contact us if you are interested in hosting a toy drive
Host a Collection DriveInterested in hosting a collection drive? Click here to get started.
You can also sign up on-line.
Click here to see all volunteer opportunities.